ENGLISH LANGUAGE ARTS, ONE TEXT AT A TIME
Is your high school English Language Arts (ELA) class leveraging all of the narrative types available to students in this digital age? Smartphones tell a story about who we are in the form of texts, emails, photos, apps, and more. Students explore such a narrative in iThrive Curriculum: Sam's Journey, an ELA unit that uses the clever, award-winning game A Normal Lost Phone.
A Normal Lost Phone, a game which invites players to search the phone of someone named Sam for clues about their life, is used as a springboard for students to explore digital and nonlinear narrative forms while reflecting on how we all communicate about who we are in our relationships.
TRY SOCIAL AND EMOTIONAL LEARNING IN ACTION
In iThrive Curriculum: Sam's Journey, your high school students will follow a uniquely told story using digital artifacts, examining how different modes of communications are used to express thoughts and feelings. In doing so, they'll deconstruct storytelling techniques as they explore how identity is expressed and influenced by public and private communication.
Features of iThrive Curriculum: Sam's Journey include:
- Pre-written, teacher-vetted, student-approved lessons for 11th and 12th grade ELA courses
- Social and emotional learning embedded into assignments and discussion prompts
- Meaningful exploration of identity, communication, and complex relationships
- A creative game-based text to engage students in new and exciting ways
- A concise, 3-lesson format that can stand alone, extend other units, and offer a small taste of what game-based learning is about
Created in collaboration with students from the Harvard Graduate School of Education: Jennifer Guerin, Kathleen Moore, Sophie Rich, Julia Wareham, and Jordana Weiner.
Special thanks to Dr. Gabrielle Rappolt-Schlichtmann, Kristin Robinson, Dr. Paul Darvasi, Dr. Shawn Clybor, and high school students from Dwight-Englewood School for their contributions.
TRY IT OUT!
Seeing is believing! Download the unit and try it with your high school English class! Check out our FAQ page for tips on how to integrate iThrive Curriculum: Sam's Journey in your classroom.
sam's journey, high school ELA