GETTING STARTED WITH LIVES IN BALANCE
Before we walk you through the step-by-step process for preparing your virtual classroom for iThrive Sim: Lives in Balance, see the big picture by reading the resources linked in the boxes below.
The following steps and hyperlinked materials are designed to prepare you and your students for their iThrive Sim: Lives in Balance game session. You will be asked to confirm that you (and your students) can access www.ithrivesim.org from your school-issued computer, and that you have completed each of these steps before a member of the iThrive Sim team can facilitate a session for you.
1. CHOOSE YOUR IMPLEMENTATION APPROACH: Review the Implementation Guide in the Teacher Prep Materials packet here and select the set-up option that works best for your classroom.
2. ASSIGN ROLES: Complete the Lives in Balance Role Assignment Sheet and email the completed sheet to firstname.lastname@example.org.
3. SHARE ROLE PREP INFORMATION: Download and share the corresponding role-playing preparation packets with your students based on their assigned roles.
Student Role: California Governor
Student Role: Nevada Governor
Student Role: New Mexico Governor
Student Role: Arizona Governor
Student Role: Principal Deputy Director, CDC
Student Role: US Deputy Secretary of Commerce
4. SHARE PRE-SIMULATION POWERPOINT: Share this PowerPoint with your students to introduce them to the basic shared social studies knowledge they'll need to play iThrive Sim: Lives in Balance. You can view a PDF version of the PowerPoint here.
5. WATCH LIVES IN BALANCE TRAILER: Share the Lives in Balance trailer with your students.
6. HAVE STUDENTS WATCH ITHRIVE SIM TUTORIAL: In this tutorial video, students can preview how to navigate the iThrive Sim platform before the simulation begins.
Want to enrich the role-playing simulation experience with more civics and social and emotional learning? Browse through our optional pre- and post-simulation materials linked below.
PRE-SIMULATION ACTIVITIES AND MATERIALS
Pre-simulation materials include civic learning scaffolds and activities as well as lesson plans that amplify the social and emotional learning opportunities in Lives in Balance.
POST-SIMULATION ACTIVITIES AND MATERIALS
These post-simulation lesson plans magnify the concepts students grappled with in Lives in Balance and support them in consolidating and extending their civic and social and emotional learning.
SELF-FACILITATION MATERIALS (COMING SOON!)
Interested in running Lives in Balance's role-playing simulation with your students yourself? Check back here in November 2020 for materials and guidelines for how to do so!